Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Logo

Frank Beard, ZZ Top Drummer and Rock Hall of Famer, Dies at 77

Frank Beard, the longtime ZZ Top drummer and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, has died at 77 at his Texas ranch.

EntertainmentBy A. García1h ago3 min read

Last updated: August 19, 2026, 2:41 PM

Share:
(L-R) Elwood Francis, Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top perform at Toyota Pavilion at Concord on September 19, 2024 in Concord, California. (credit: Miikka Skaffari/Getty Images)

(L-R) Elwood Francis, Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top perform at Toyota Pavilion at Concord on September 19, 2024 in Concord, California. (credit: Miikka Skaffari/Getty Images)

Frank Beard, the longtime drummer of ZZ Top, has died at age 77, the band announced Tuesday. Beard died in hospice care at his ranch in Richmond, Texas, with family members by his side. The cause of death was not disclosed. His death marks the end of a 56-year run with one of rock music’s most enduring lineups.

What Happened to Frank Beard

Beard was ZZ Top’s drummer for 56 years, alongside guitarist Billy Gibbons and bassist Dusty Hill. The three musicians first played together in 1970 and remained the core lineup until Hill died in 2021. After Hill’s death, Elwood Francis joined the group. Beard and Gibbons continued performing with the band. Gibbons described Beard as a great friend and collaborator, praising his distinctive drumming and saying ZZ Top would continue as Beard had wished.

The Sound That Helped Define ZZ Top

Beard’s drumming provided the steady backbeat behind some of ZZ Top’s best-known songs, including “Sharp Dressed Man” and “Legs.” The band became especially prominent during the 1980s, when MTV helped turn its music videos into a major part of the group’s identity. ZZ Top became known for the long beards worn by Gibbons and Hill, while Beard was usually seen clean-shaven. Despite the visual joke built into the band’s name and image, Beard remained an essential part of its sound.

ZZ Top Cancels Shows After Beard’s Death

ZZ Top said it would cancel its Tuesday performance in Salt Lake City and Wednesday’s show in Colorado Springs following Beard’s death. The group planned to return to the stage in Austin, Texas, during the weekend. The decision comes as the band continues after the loss of another longtime member. Hill died in 2021 after more than five decades with Gibbons and Beard.

Frank Beard and the Rock Hall

ZZ Top was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, recognizing the band’s lasting place in rock history. During the induction ceremony, Beard reflected on his career with characteristic understatement. He said much of his life had been a pleasant surprise, and called the honor another surprise before thanking the audience.

What Comes Next for ZZ Top

ZZ Top is expected to continue performing after Beard’s death, following the band’s stated plan to resume its schedule in Austin this weekend. The group now faces another major transition after losing two members of the classic trio within four years. Beard’s six decades behind the drums remain a defining part of ZZ Top’s history and sound.

FAQ

Who was Frank Beard?

Frank Beard was the longtime drummer of ZZ Top. He performed with the band for 56 years alongside Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill.

How old was Frank Beard when he died?

Frank Beard was 77 years old when he died.

How did Frank Beard die?

Beard died in hospice care at his ranch in Richmond, Texas. The band did not disclose his cause of death.

When did Frank Beard join ZZ Top?

Beard first played with Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill in 1970. The trio went on to become one of the most enduring lineups in music history.

Will ZZ Top continue performing after Frank Beard’s death?

Yes. The band said it would return to the stage in Austin, Texas, during the weekend after canceling two scheduled performances.

AG
A. García

Writer

With a passion for storytelling and digital culture, A. García brings a versatile editorial voice to topics spanning entertainment, technology, science, and current events. Her experience in media and communications has shaped an approach that combines thorough research with a conversational, easy-to-follow writing style. From timely stories and industry developments to detailed features and informative guides, García focuses on making every piece both engaging and useful to its audience.

Related Stories

"Hi, I Know You're Watching!": Rosie O'Donnell Waves at Trump in Explosive Kimmel Guest-Hosting Debut

"Hi, I Know You're Watching!": Rosie O'Donnell Waves at Trump in Explosive Kimmel Guest-Hosting Debut

Rosie O'Donnell sat behind a late-night desk Monday for the first time in decades, and she used it to reignite one of America's longest-running celebrity feuds. Guest hosting "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" while Jimmy Kimmel vacations, the comedian aimed her opening monologue squarely at President Donald Trump, explained why she fled to Ireland two years ago, and finished by smiling into the camera with a message for the man himself: "Hi, I know you're watching!"

Hayden Panettiere, Star of "Heroes" and "Nashville," Dies at 36

Hayden Panettiere, Star of "Heroes" and "Nashville," Dies at 36

Hayden Panettiere, the actress who became a household name as the indestructible cheerleader of "Heroes" and the country star of "Nashville," has died at 36, her representative confirmed. She was found unresponsive Sunday afternoon at an apartment complex in Greenville, South Carolina, and pronounced dead at the scene. No cause of death has been released, and police say preliminary findings show no signs of foul play or suspicious circumstances.

The Strokes Allegedly Tied to Secret $500 Astroturf Campaign Against Anthony Fantano

The Strokes Allegedly Tied to Secret $500 Astroturf Campaign Against Anthony Fantano

Somebody paid to turn the internet against Anthony Fantano, and nobody will admit to it. The music critic has exposed a covert influencer campaign offering content creators $500 to make videos hyping the Strokes' diss of him on their new album. The Strokes say they had nothing to do with it. Their label says the same. Which leaves one very strange question hanging: who is bankrolling a smear campaign disguised as album promo?