What the Trump Plan Proposed
The Trump administration's 15-point framework, presented to Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in recent weeks, outlined a phased approach to ending hostilities. It called for a staged ceasefire, the release of remaining hostages held by Hamas, a postwar governance mechanism for Gaza, and an internationally funded reconstruction pathway. Senior American officials described the proposal as a serious and workable foundation for negotiations and urged both sides to engage with it in good faith. Netanyahu's government rejected it outright. In a statement from his office, the prime minister said Israel would not accept any arrangement that left Hamas intact as a military or governing force inside Gaza.
Netanyahu's Position: Disarmament First
Netanyahu has made full Hamas disarmament a precondition for any lasting deal, a demand Hamas has consistently refused. "There will be no agreement that allows Hamas to rearm, regroup, or retain any governing authority in Gaza," his office stated. "Israel's security requirements are non-negotiable." The position reflects a broader strategic calculation: that accepting a ceasefire before Hamas is dismantled would allow the group to reconstitute itself, as it did after previous rounds of fighting. Israeli officials point to the October 7, 2023 attacks as evidence of what leaving Hamas in place can produce. Critics of that stance, including some figures within the Israeli security establishment, argue that demanding full disarmament before any deal is effectively a condition that cannot be met at the negotiating table, and that it closes off diplomatic options while the fighting continues.
International Reaction
Nickolay Mladenov, a senior figure on the international Board of Peace monitoring the Gaza conflict, said Netanyahu's rejection of the Trump framework was a serious obstacle to ending the war. "The conditions being set by the Israeli government make a negotiated solution extremely difficult to achieve in the near term," Mladenov said. "We are calling on all parties to return to the table and engage with proposals that can realistically end the suffering of civilians on both sides." Mladenov also noted that the humanitarian situation in Gaza had reached a critical point, with international agencies struggling to deliver aid amid ongoing military operations.
Far-Right Coalition Partners Oppose Any Deal
Netanyahu's rejection also reflects pressure from within his own governing coalition. Far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir has been among the loudest opponents of any ceasefire that does not result in Hamas's complete elimination. He has previously threatened to pull his party from the coalition if the government agreed to terms he considered insufficiently tough. That threat gives Netanyahu limited room to maneuver, even if he were inclined to accept a modified version of the American framework. Any deal acceptable to Hamas or to international mediators is likely to face fierce resistance from coalition partners whose support Netanyahu needs to stay in power.
Conditions on the Ground
The human cost of the conflict keeps rising. Gaza health authorities have reported more than 57,000 Palestinian deaths since Israeli military operations began following the October 7, 2023 Hamas attacks, which killed approximately 1,200 people in Israel and resulted in around 250 hostages being taken into Gaza. Large portions of Gaza's civilian infrastructure have been destroyed. The United Nations estimates that more than 1.9 million people have been displaced within the territory, many living in temporary shelters or makeshift camps with limited access to food, clean water, and medical care. International aid organizations have repeatedly warned that famine conditions are spreading in parts of Gaza and that aid delivery remains far below what is needed to prevent a broader humanitarian catastrophe.
Where Negotiations Stand
With Netanyahu's rejection of the Trump framework, the path to a negotiated settlement is unclear. American officials have not publicly withdrawn the proposal, and diplomatic contacts between Washington, Jerusalem, and mediators in Qatar and Egypt are continuing. Hamas has not formally responded to the 15-point plan in detail, though the group has previously stated it will not agree to disarmament as a condition of any ceasefire. International pressure on Israel to accept a deal is growing, particularly from European governments and United Nations agencies, but the Netanyahu government has shown little sign of shifting its core position.

