Prince Harry and Meghan are planning to move back to Britain with their two children later this month, six years after leaving the UK for the United States. The family is expected to settle at a private residence outside London, with Archie and Lilibet due to begin school in September. The move would bring the Sussexes back to Britain while they remain private citizens, with no return to official working royal duties. It also comes after Harry recently renewed contact with his father, King Charles.
Harry and Meghan Prepare to Return to Britain
Harry and Meghan, who have lived in California since 2020, are expected to relocate later in August with Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five. The family is expected to live at a non-royal property outside London. Their children have been enrolled to start school in September. The Sussexes are also expected to keep their homes in California and Portugal, where they spent time earlier this summer. There has been no official comment from Harry and Meghan confirming the move.
King Charles Has Been Informed
King Charles was reportedly informed of the planned return on Sunday. The development follows a meeting between Harry and his father at Highgrove in Gloucestershire last month. The king is said to welcome the prospect of seeing more of his family personally. However, the Sussexes will remain private individuals after stepping away from their official roles within the royal family. Their return will not lead to a renewed "half-in, half-out" arrangement. That model was rejected during the 2020 discussions over Harry and Meghan's departure from the UK.
William and Harry Remain Estranged
Prince William has also been informed about the planned move, according to the source material. The brothers remain estranged following public criticism involving Harry and Meghan and other members of the royal family. Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, said the return could create new pressure for the brothers to address their relationship. He also argued that Harry's presence in Britain could make reconciliation more difficult for William to avoid.
Security Remains a Major Issue
Harry's security arrangements could be one of the biggest practical questions surrounding the family's return. Harry has previously said he would not feel safe bringing his wife and children back to Britain without police protection. In May 2025, after losing a legal challenge over his UK security arrangements, he said he could not see a situation in which he would bring his family back at that point. The Sussexes are not eligible for taxpayer-funded protection in Britain except when they are inside royal residences. The government has declined to provide detailed information about their security arrangements. The Home Office said the UK's protective security system is "rigorous and proportionate" and that detailed arrangements are not disclosed because doing so could affect security.
Harry Says He Wants Reconciliation
Harry has previously said he wants to repair his relationship with his family. Following his security case in 2025, he said he had forgiven members of his family and wanted reconciliation. He also described the security dispute as the main obstacle in his relationship with the royal family. Harry said life was too precious to continue fighting and that he wanted to move toward reconciliation. The planned return could give him more opportunities to spend time with his father, although the source material does not establish whether it will lead to a broader family reconciliation.
The Sussexes Will Stay Private
Harry and Meghan will not return as working royals. Their status remains that of private individuals following their decision to step away from senior royal duties. Their commercial work is also continuing. Last year, the couple signed a new multiyear film and television agreement with Netflix after their original five-year deal, signed in 2020, produced several projects. Their earlier Spotify podcast agreement ended in 2023 after 12 episodes.
Britain Reacts to the Planned Move
Education Secretary Lucy Powell welcomed the prospect of Harry and Meghan bringing their family back to Britain. Powell said she hoped the move would contribute to a broader reconciliation within the royal family. She also suggested that Britain's schools and education system could be one reason the couple chose to raise their children in the country. Public opinion toward the couple remains mixed. A YouGov poll in July found that 22% of Britons viewed Meghan positively, compared with 65% who viewed her negatively. Harry was viewed positively by 33% and negatively by 58%.
What Comes Next
The immediate focus will be the family's relocation later this month and the start of Archie and Lilibet's school year in September. Security arrangements will also remain closely watched, while Harry's return could create new opportunities for contact with King Charles. Whether the move produces a wider reconciliation with the royal family remains uncertain.
FAQ
Are Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to Britain?
Yes. Harry and Meghan are expected to relocate to Britain with their two children later in August, according to the source material.
Where will Prince Harry and Meghan live in Britain?
The family is expected to move into a non-royal residence outside London.
Will Archie and Lilibet attend school in Britain?
Yes. Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to start school in Britain in September.
Will Harry and Meghan become working royals again?
No. They will remain private individuals and are not expected to receive a "half-in, half-out" arrangement or resume official working royal roles.
Why is security an issue for Prince Harry in Britain?
Harry has previously said he would not feel safe bringing his family to Britain without police protection. The Sussexes are not eligible for taxpayer-funded protection in the UK except when inside royal residences.




