Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Logo

Buss Family Civil War: Jeanie Fights Her Siblings' Vote to Sell the Lakers' Last 17.8% to Kushner and Iger

The family that owned the Lakers for 47 years is now fighting itself over how the story ends. Jeanie Buss, the team's governor, is contesting her siblings' vote to sell the family's remaining 17.8% stake to Josh Kushner and Bob Iger, according to a letter from her lawyer. Her control of the franchise hangs on the outcome: if the sale goes through, she falls below the ownership threshold needed to remain the Lakers' controlling owner.

SportsBy J. Mendez3h ago5 min read

Last updated: August 18, 2026, 2:01 PM

Share:
Photo by Allen Berezovsky / Getty Images file

Photo by Allen Berezovsky / Getty Images file

The Vote That Split the Family

The Buss siblings voted Monday to sell their remaining shares to Kushner and Iger at the same $12.5 billion valuation Mark Walter agreed to last week. They believe a tag-along provision from the June 2025 sale to Walter gives them the right, allowing the family to join any sale and valuation Walter secured for his own shares.

Five siblings voted yes. Jeanie Buss was the lone holdout, and multiple sources say she did not respond to the family vote at all.

The family framed the decision as a graceful exit. "We have decided as a family to sell the remaining Buss Family Trust shares to the Bob Iger group as part of the ongoing transaction," they said in a statement. "We love the Lakers, Laker fans and will continue to support Los Angeles; but it is time to use this opportunity to move on and exit gracefully while we still can."

Jeanie's Legal Counterattack

Her response came through attorney Adam Streisand, and it did not mince words. Streisand contends a 2017 court ruling established that no sale can be "effectuated without approval by the co-trustees, i.e. Jeanie, Janie and Joey Buss."

His letter to the five siblings went further, arguing the "co-trustees are bound to vote ... to ensure that the minimum 15% ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain Controlling Owner. Any attempt by the co-trustees ... to aid or abet the co-trustees as such, would constitute a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and be in contempt of court."

Streisand demanded the siblings publicly affirm that "Jeanie Buss is the Controlling Owner of the Los Angeles Lakers" and "take no action on this supposed 'vote' to sell the 17.8% stake."

What's Really at Stake: Control Through 2030

When Walter first bought the team, Jeanie Buss secured an agreement to remain the franchise's controlling owner through 2030. Iger said last week he intended to honor that arrangement, with a caveat that now reads ominously: "If something changes, then it changes."

Iger met with Buss late last week to discuss the transition from Walter, sources said. A spokesperson for Kushner and Iger declined to comment on the dispute.

If the family's stake drops below the minimum 15% ownership requirement, Jeanie loses the percentage needed to stay governor, regardless of any handshake agreement.

The Meeting That "Spooked" Everyone

The path to Monday's vote began with an alarm bell. Last Monday night, Lakers vice president of finance Joe McCormack called an emergency meeting of the Buss siblings to discuss dissolving the family trust and locking down all family shares for four years under a new one.

When the family gathered Tuesday to discuss it, nobody mentioned Walter's impending sale to Kushner and Iger. One family source said the meeting "spooked" everyone, triggering fresh calls among the five siblings to sell.

The shift was dramatic. In a previous vote several months ago, only three siblings wanted to sell. This time, after Walter's deal surfaced, two more joined in, with Jeanie abstaining.

The Walter Cloud

The second sale of the Lakers in a little over a year comes in the wake of a federal investigation into Walter for alleged tax fraud by companies tied to the billionaire. That backdrop helps explain the family's urgency, and the phrase "while we still can" in their statement.

The End of an Era, Either Way

Jerry Buss bought the Lakers from Jack Kent Cooke in May 1979, and the family has held ownership ever since. The run produced 11 NBA championships, most recently in 2020, and 2,289 wins since the start of the 1979-80 season, the most of any franchise in that span. More than a dozen Hall of Famers wore the uniform under Buss family ownership, with Hall of Fame coaches on the sideline from the Great Western Forum to Crypto.com Arena.

Whether the family exits by unanimous sale or court battle, the dynasty that defined Los Angeles basketball is in its final chapter.

What Comes Next

The dispute now heads toward lawyers, and possibly a courtroom, with three questions unresolved: whether the 2017 ruling gives Jeanie and her fellow co-trustees veto power over the sale, whether the tag-along provision overrides it, and whether Iger's group honors her deal to stay controlling owner through 2030 if the math no longer requires them to. The answer decides who runs the most valuable franchise in basketball.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Jeanie Buss contesting?
Her siblings' vote to sell the family's remaining 17.8% stake in the Lakers to Josh Kushner and Bob Iger at a $12.5 billion valuation.
Why does the sale threaten her position?
If it goes through, she falls below the minimum 15% ownership requirement needed to remain the Lakers' controlling owner and governor.
What is her legal argument?
Her lawyer cites a 2017 court ruling that no sale can happen without approval of the co-trustees: Jeanie, Janie and Joey Buss. He says the vote would constitute breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and contempt of court.
What do the other siblings say?
Five of six voted to sell, saying it is "time to use this opportunity to move on and exit gracefully while we still can."
How long has the Buss family owned the Lakers?
Since Jerry Buss bought the team in May 1979. The family era includes 11 NBA championships and the most wins of any franchise since 1979-80.
JM
J. Mendez

Writer

J. Mendez is a writer with a decade of experience covering the full spectrum from politics to entertainment. Holding a degree in political science, Mendez brings analytical depth to reporting on government, policy, and public affairs while also delivering sharp, engaging coverage of film, television, music, and celebrity culture. Over ten years in the field, their work has spanned hard news, cultural analysis, and feature writing, consistently connecting the political and the popular for a broad audience.

Related Stories

Tommy John Dies at 83: The Pitcher Whose Name Became Baseball's Most Famous Surgery
Sports1d ago

Tommy John Dies at 83: The Pitcher Whose Name Became Baseball's Most Famous Surgery

Tommy John, the four-time All-Star left-hander who won 288 games and lent his name to the elbow surgery that has saved thousands of careers, died Saturday at his home in Bradenton, Florida. He was 83. The New York Yankees announced his death in a statement Sunday. No cause was given, but John had been in hospice and had been diagnosed with bladder cancer and other ailments in recent years.

Fernando Mendoza Makes History in Raiders Debut, First No. 1 Pick With a Preseason TD Since Baker Mayfield
Sports4d ago

Fernando Mendoza Makes History in Raiders Debut, First No. 1 Pick With a Preseason TD Since Baker Mayfield

Fernando Mendoza's first taste of NFL action came with a footnote for the record books. The Raiders' rookie quarterback threw a touchdown in his preseason debut Thursday night, becoming the first No. 1 overall pick to do so since Baker Mayfield in 2018. The Heisman Trophy winner completed 10 of 16 passes for 97 yards across four drives in Las Vegas' 27-14 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, showing flashes of the player the franchise drafted to be its future, and moments that reminded everyone he is still a rookie.