Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Logo

"I Shot Mr. Thompson and He Died": Mangione Pleads Guilty, and His Murder Trial May Now Collapse

Luigi Mangione confessed to killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in his own words Friday, pleading guilty to federal charges in a New York courtroom while Thompson's widow and family watched from the front row. The plea, made without any deal with prosecutors, may prove to be a legal masterstroke: within hours, his lawyers moved to dismiss his state murder trial, set to begin next month, arguing New York's double jeopardy law bars a second prosecution for the same act. Legal experts say they have a strong case.

U.S. NewsBy J. Mendez17h ago7 min read

Last updated: August 17, 2026, 11:50 PM

Share:
Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images

The Confession

"On the morning of December 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died," the 28-year-old said, flanked by his defense attorneys.

Reading a prepared statement quickly and with little emotion, so quickly the judge interrupted because she could not hear, Mangione laid out how he planned the killing. He said years of severe pain from a broken back and his struggles with the health insurance system led him to target UnitedHealthcare's annual investor conference in New York, an event attended by investors and executives but not medical providers or patients.

He described using a 3D printer to create part of a firearm, equipping it with a silencer and magazine, and traveling to New York in November 2024. Then came a detail dripping with bitterness: he emailed UnitedHealthcare leadership posing as an investor at a firm managing over $50 billion in assets. "Unlike my previous interactions with insurers, I received an immediate response within an hour," he said.

Of the shooting itself: "When I did so, I understood that my actions would place him in fear of death or serious bodily injury. I knew what I was doing was illegal."

He expressed no remorse. He did not look at Thompson's family.

A Plea With No Deal

The guilty plea came at a hastily scheduled conference, called just hours after Mangione appeared in state court earlier in the week. His attorneys confirmed in court that no agreement was reached with federal prosecutors, meaning Mangione pleaded guilty with nothing promised in return.

The move resolves his federal case, which included two stalking charges that had been headed for trial in January 2027. US Judge Margaret Garnett set sentencing for December 18. He faces a maximum of life in prison.

The Double Jeopardy Gambit

Immediately after the federal hearing, Mangione's defense team filed a motion asking New York Judge Gregory Carro to dismiss the second-degree murder and weapons charges in his state case.

"It was a single tragic event, yet he's being prosecuted twice for the same conduct," defense attorney Karen Friedman Agnifilo told reporters outside the courthouse. "Thankfully, New York law does not allow this."

The argument rests on New York's double jeopardy statute, which goes further than the US Constitution by prohibiting two prosecutions based on the same criminal act or conduct, even when the offenses differ. The defense filing went further still, accusing federal and state prosecutors of coordinating their cases "to maximize the punitive effectiveness of the two cases at the expense of Mr. Mangione" and cutting a deal to sequence the prosecutions in a way that evades double jeopardy protections.

Experts: The State Case May Be Dead

Legal analysts see real force in the defense's position.

"I think it's more likely than not that the state case goes away with the federal guilty plea," said Anthony Capozzolo, a former Manhattan prosecutor and former federal prosecutor in the Eastern District of New York. Both cases, he said, punish "the same harm or evil," the murder of the same victim, meaning "the offenses will not be deemed different enough to allow New York to continue to prosecute the case."

Criminal defense attorney Joey Jackson agreed the argument "is real," since both cases involve "the same sort of transaction and occurrence, the same set of facts."

New York City defense attorney Stacy Schneider called it a "calculated, good shot" at dismissal, "but not a slam dunk." Prosecutors, she predicted, will argue "the act of stalking was a prelude to the murder," and that the federal charges are "not the same as actually pulling the trigger."

The DA Digs In

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office signaled it will fight.

"We are encouraged that Mr. Thompson's family received a measure of accountability today. While federal sentencing is pending, we are prepared to litigate the defense motions," a spokesperson said. "The Manhattan D.A.'s Office remains committed to seeking justice for Mr. Thompson and his family."

Judge Carro must now decide whether the trial proceeds on all eight charges in the state indictment. He could delay the September 8 start of jury selection while the sides argue in filings, or wait for the federal sentencing to play out. Either side could appeal his decision, likely delaying the state trial further, if it happens at all. If the DA's office is satisfied with Mangione's federal sentence, it could agree to dismiss the state charges outright.

The Case That Gripped the Country

Thompson, 50, a father of two, was gunned down outside a Midtown Manhattan hotel hosting UnitedHealthcare's investor conference. The killing set off a multistate manhunt that ended five days later, when police arrested Mangione in a McDonald's in Altoona, Pennsylvania. In his backpack, authorities said, they found a gun linked to the crime scene and a notebook with writings about targeting the CEO at the "parasitic bean-counter convention."

The case exposed raw public frustration with the American healthcare system. Mangione amassed devoted followers who sympathized with his cause and treated him as a kind of folk hero, even as he confessed to a premeditated killing.

Two Families, Two Statements

Friedman Agnifilo said her client has "accepted full responsibility" for Thompson's death, calling Friday "a solemn and significant day." Mangione, she said, "believed that the system had failed him and destroyed his life," like the thousands of people who have reached out since the shooting to share their own experiences.

Thompson's family called the plea "an important step toward justice."

"While nothing will ease the pain of losing him, we are grateful that the federal justice system has held the person responsible for this heinous act accountable," the family said. "Now we look to the court to ensure that sentencing reflects the severity of this crime."

What Comes Next

Three dates now define the case. Judge Carro's ruling on the dismissal motion, which could erase the state murder trial before its September 8 jury selection. Federal sentencing on December 18, where Mangione's lawyers will present mitigating evidence about his back injury and insurance battles. And a still-pending Pennsylvania state case stemming from his arrest. The man who confessed to killing a CEO in front of the victim's widow may never face a murder trial at all.

FAQ

What did Luigi Mangione plead guilty to?

Federal charges connected to the December 2024 killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, including stalking charges. He confessed in court: "I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan and he died."

Did Mangione get a plea deal?

No. His attorneys confirmed in court that no agreement was reached with federal prosecutors.

Will his state murder trial still happen?

Uncertain. His lawyers filed to dismiss the state murder and weapons charges under New York's double jeopardy law, and several legal experts believe the state case is more likely than not to be dismissed. The Manhattan DA says it will fight the motion.

When will Mangione be sentenced?

December 18, in federal court. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

What is the double jeopardy argument?

New York law goes beyond the US Constitution, barring successive prosecutions for the same criminal act or transaction even when the offenses differ. The defense argues the federal and state cases punish the same conduct.

JM
J. Mendez

Writer

J. Mendez is a writer with a decade of experience covering the full spectrum from politics to entertainment. Holding a degree in political science, Mendez brings analytical depth to reporting on government, policy, and public affairs while also delivering sharp, engaging coverage of film, television, music, and celebrity culture. Over ten years in the field, their work has spanned hard news, cultural analysis, and feature writing, consistently connecting the political and the popular for a broad audience.

Related Stories

Has Your Car Been Flocked? A New Website Reveals If Police Cameras Are Tracking Your License Plate
U.S. News17h ago

Has Your Car Been Flocked? A New Website Reveals If Police Cameras Are Tracking Your License Plate

Millions of American drivers are in a surveillance database and have no idea. Now there is a way to check. A website called Have I Been Flocked? lets you type in your license plate number and see whether Flock Safety's nationwide network of automated cameras has captured your car and stored it in its database. The tool arrives as backlash against the company boils over, with cameras being cut down, stolen and abandoned by the cities that installed them.

Trump to "Substantially Reduce" Military Drills With South Korea After Seoul Said "No Thanks" to Iran War
U.S. News18h ago

Trump to "Substantially Reduce" Military Drills With South Korea After Seoul Said "No Thanks" to Iran War

President Donald Trump says the United States will "substantially reduce" its joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and pointing to Seoul's refusal to join the US campaign against Iran. The announcement landed less than 24 hours before the allies' annual drills were set to begin, too late, by Trump's own admission, to cancel them.

USS George Washington Sails for the Middle East as Alarm Grows Over Conditions on the USS Lincoln
U.S. News3d ago

USS George Washington Sails for the Middle East as Alarm Grows Over Conditions on the USS Lincoln

The Navy is sending relief. The Pacific-based aircraft carrier USS George Washington has begun steaming toward the Middle East, a move that would swap out the USS Abraham Lincoln after a record-setting stretch of more than 260 straight days at sea. The rotation comes as reports of supply shortages and mental health struggles aboard the Lincoln fuel demands for accountability in Congress, and as the Pentagon insists the accounts are "completely misrepresented."