Friday, August 21, 2026
Logo

NASA's Swift Telescope Is Doomed After $30 Million Rescue Mission Fails, and Hubble May Be Next

A daring orbital rescue is officially over, and a legendary NASA telescope is falling to its death. NASA and Flagstaff-based Katalyst Space Technologies called off the mission to save the sinking Swift Observatory on Wednesday after the rescue spacecraft proved impossible to control, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry expected no earlier than October. The failure carries a second casualty in waiting: the aging Hubble Space Telescope was next in line for a rescue if this one had worked.

ScienceBy J. Mendez2h ago3 min read
Share:
Photo by NASA

Photo by NASA

What Went Wrong

Katalyst's Link spacecraft launched in early July on a bid to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit. Trouble arrived within weeks: Link went into an uncontrollable spin.

Flight controllers managed to slow the tumble, but problems kept plaguing the spacecraft's pointing and positioning in orbit. On Wednesday, more than a month after liftoff, Katalyst confirmed Link will not attempt the capture. Without a boost, Swift will plunge through the atmosphere later this year.

A $30 Million Gamble Against the Sun

NASA paid Katalyst $30 million to raise Swift to a safer, longer-lasting orbit after intense solar activity caused the telescope to lose altitude faster than expected. The plan was ambitious: lift Swift from its current 214-mile orbit back to its original altitude of 373 miles, buying many more years of cosmic observations.

The timeline made it harder. Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said the mission was thrown together in under a year.

"We took on this high-risk, high-reward challenge and are proud of the milestones we reached along the way," Lee said in a statement. "We have already learned a tremendous amount."

NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman defended the attempt. "This is not the outcome we were working toward, but it does not change why this mission was worth attempting," he said.

Twenty Years of Watching the Universe Explode

Swift's resume explains why NASA tried to save it. Launched in 2004, the observatory spent more than two decades tracking some of the biggest explosions in the universe, from gamma ray bursts to exploding stars.

The telescope's science instruments were turned off earlier this year to slow its descent. It was orbiting 214 miles high as of Wednesday, and dropping.

The Consolation Mission

Link's story is not quite over. Katalyst will continue to operate the spacecraft in proximity with Swift to demonstrate capabilities for future rescue operations, turning the failed capture into a practice run for the next attempt.

The Hubble Question

The bigger shadow hangs over the most famous telescope in history. NASA's 36-year-old Hubble Space Telescope is also dropping in orbit because of the sun's recent outbursts, and it had been next in line for a rescue attempt had the Swift mission succeeded.

Whether Hubble is now out of luck was not immediately known.

What Comes Next

Swift's fiery end is expected sometime after October, its exact reentry date at the mercy of the same solar activity that doomed it. The harder decision belongs to NASA: whether to trust another rescue attempt with Hubble's fate after watching this one fail, or let the sun win twice.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why was the Swift rescue mission canceled?
Katalyst's Link spacecraft suffered control problems, including an uncontrollable spin weeks after its July liftoff, and could not safely attempt to capture the telescope.
When will the Swift telescope fall to Earth?
Its fiery reentry is not expected before October.
How much did NASA pay for the rescue attempt?
$30 million to Katalyst Space Technologies to boost Swift from 214 miles back to its original 373-mile orbit.
What did the Swift Observatory do?
Launched in 2004, it spent more than 20 years tracking the universe's biggest explosions, including gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.
What does this mean for Hubble?
Hubble, also losing altitude due to solar activity, was next in line for a rescue if this mission succeeded. Its fate is now unclear.
JM
J. Mendez

Writer

J. Mendez is a writer with a decade of experience covering the full spectrum from politics to entertainment. Holding a degree in political science, Mendez brings analytical depth to reporting on government, policy, and public affairs while also delivering sharp, engaging coverage of film, television, music, and celebrity culture. Over ten years in the field, their work has spanned hard news, cultural analysis, and feature writing, consistently connecting the political and the popular for a broad audience.

Related Stories

A 236-Million-Year-Old Fossil Suggests Our Ancestors Gave Live Birth 95 Million Years Earlier Than Thought
ScienceAugust 13, 2026

A 236-Million-Year-Old Fossil Suggests Our Ancestors Gave Live Birth 95 Million Years Earlier Than Thought

A fossil from the late Triassic period has upended one of paleontology's long-standing assumptions. Scientists have found the first evidence that a cynodont, part of the group of mammal-like reptiles that gave rise to all modern mammals, gave birth to live young rather than laying eggs. The discovery pushes the timeline of live birth back by up to 95 million years, according to researchers behind a study published today in Frontiers in Mammal Science.