Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Logo

Trump Hid in Catering Truck in Secret Plane Swap Over Iran Threat, Reports Say

A covert aircraft switch, a catering truck used as cover, and a credible Iranian missile threat directed at the sitting president. Details that surfaced in August 2026 about events surrounding the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey reveal the extraordinary lengths taken to protect Donald Trump during his departure last month.

U.S. NewsBy J. Mendez6d ago4 min read

Last updated: August 17, 2026, 12:42 PM

Share:
Photo by Pau Casals

Photo by Pau Casals

What Happened at Ankara's Airport

Trump left Turkey on July 8, following the conclusion of the NATO summit. He had arrived aboard a Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8 but told reporters he intended to fly home on the older Air Force One, a modified Boeing VC-25A, "for old time's sake."

What actually unfolded was something else entirely.

According to US media reporting, including accounts sourced to the Washington Post and CBS News officials, security personnel had identified a credible Iranian threat to fire a missile at the aircraft. The response was a last-minute covert transfer: move Trump off the older Air Force One and onto a C-32A, a military-modified Boeing 757, without anyone realizing it had happened.

The method was straightforward but effective. A catering truck was raised to aircraft-door height alongside the plane, and Trump crossed from one aircraft to the other through the truck, completely out of sight of the journalists and staff who remained aboard the original Air Force One.

Those reporters and White House staff were told to close their window shades. None of them were informed that Trump was no longer on the plane.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth boarded the C-32A separately, using external stairs, to make the departure look routine.

The Flight Path and What Reporters Were Told

The C-32A carrying Trump flew to the United Kingdom. There, Trump reboarded the older Air Force One and was publicly seen disembarking at RAF Mildenhall, preserving the appearance that he had been on that aircraft the entire time.

He then boarded the Qatar-gifted Boeing 747-8 for the return flight to Washington.

During that final leg, Trump spoke to reporters about Iranian threats against him, making no mention of the plane swap. When asked why the window shades had been closed earlier, he said: "Because you're probably on a dangerous flight because of the sleazebags we have to deal with." He added that he is "number one" on Iran's target list, and said, with apparent humor, "if I go, you go... perhaps someday you want to change professions."

The Security Context Behind the Switch

The secret transfer took place one day after renewed US strikes on Iran, following the collapse of nuclear negotiations. Iranian threats against Trump have been a documented concern for some time, and the timing made the threat assessment particularly serious.

Part of the calculus appears to have involved the defensive capabilities of the two aircraft. Older Air Force One planes are reported to carry laser-based systems designed to blind or deflect incoming missiles. Whether the Qatar-donated Boeing 747-8 carries equivalent countermeasures has not been confirmed. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt described the new plane as "perfectly safe" but acknowledged it would receive security upgrades in the fall, a process expected to take about a month.

White House communications director Steven Cheung neither confirmed nor denied the reported swap, calling the Qatar-gifted aircraft "state-of-the-art."

A Separate but Related Security Question

The Ankara switch is not the only aircraft security story in circulation. Separate reporting indicated that the Secret Service had urged Trump to stop using the Qatari-donated jet over unspecified security concerns. That reporting prompted the Department of Justice to open a leak investigation, and journalists have since been summoned to testify about their sources.

Taken together, the missile threat in Ankara and the broader questions about the Qatar jet point to an ongoing, unresolved set of concerns about the security profile of the aircraft currently serving as Air Force One.

What Officials Have Said

The White House has not formally confirmed the details of the July 8 transfer. Leavitt's comment about upcoming security upgrades is the closest any official has come to acknowledging a gap in the new plane's defensive readiness. Cheung's statement praising the aircraft without addressing the specific claims leaves the core of the reporting neither confirmed nor denied.

JM
J. Mendez

Writer

J. Mendez is a writer with a decade of experience covering the full spectrum from politics to entertainment. Holding a degree in political science, Mendez brings analytical depth to reporting on government, policy, and public affairs while also delivering sharp, engaging coverage of film, television, music, and celebrity culture. Over ten years in the field, their work has spanned hard news, cultural analysis, and feature writing, consistently connecting the political and the popular for a broad audience.

Related Stories

Has Your Car Been Flocked? A New Website Reveals If Police Cameras Are Tracking Your License Plate
U.S. News17h ago

Has Your Car Been Flocked? A New Website Reveals If Police Cameras Are Tracking Your License Plate

Millions of American drivers are in a surveillance database and have no idea. Now there is a way to check. A website called Have I Been Flocked? lets you type in your license plate number and see whether Flock Safety's nationwide network of automated cameras has captured your car and stored it in its database. The tool arrives as backlash against the company boils over, with cameras being cut down, stolen and abandoned by the cities that installed them.

"I Shot Mr. Thompson and He Died": Mangione Pleads Guilty, and His Murder Trial May Now Collapse
U.S. News17h ago

"I Shot Mr. Thompson and He Died": Mangione Pleads Guilty, and His Murder Trial May Now Collapse

Luigi Mangione confessed to killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in his own words Friday, pleading guilty to federal charges in a New York courtroom while Thompson's widow and family watched from the front row. The plea, made without any deal with prosecutors, may prove to be a legal masterstroke: within hours, his lawyers moved to dismiss his state murder trial, set to begin next month, arguing New York's double jeopardy law bars a second prosecution for the same act. Legal experts say they have a strong case.

Trump to "Substantially Reduce" Military Drills With South Korea After Seoul Said "No Thanks" to Iran War
U.S. News18h ago

Trump to "Substantially Reduce" Military Drills With South Korea After Seoul Said "No Thanks" to Iran War

President Donald Trump says the United States will "substantially reduce" its joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and pointing to Seoul's refusal to join the US campaign against Iran. The announcement landed less than 24 hours before the allies' annual drills were set to begin, too late, by Trump's own admission, to cancel them.